Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wow

In moments of extreme shock, the best thing to do is write about it.

I just found out I might get to enter the school of my dreams as a sophomore.  I'm starting school (ridiculously soon) at this little college in Philadelphia I absolutely adore.  There's a facebook group about it called Bryn Mawr, where your best hasn't been good enough since 1885.  Naturally I'm a little nervous about academic intensity.  I mean, I'm going there for the academics, I want to be pushed and challenged and all that.  I haven't had a life the past two years anyway, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with one.  In spite of all that, I'm still worried about keeping up.

But I just two and two together and made five.

We took big intense tests in May for IB (international baccalaureate), an international version of the Advance Placement program.  We studied so much for these test that by the end we were sleep deprived and a little insane.  I actually started getting chest pains one day during studying and had to go to the doc so they could make sure I wasn't having a heart attack.  It was a combination of being stressed to the max and an old rib injury.  At that point my parents were pretty much letting me do whatever I wanted as long as I didn't have a nervous breakdown.  And by the end of the tests I did not give a shit how I did.  Did not care.  I mean, I tried on the test, but as soon as I left the room I stopped carrying.  I didn't care what I wrote about Stalin, the Cold War, the works of C.S. Lewis, the structures and functions of plant and animal cells, or the stuff I pulled out of my ass about the declaration of independence.  It could all die and go to hell as far as I was concerned.

So I was in no hurry to check my scores.  Almost a week after they came out I finally logged in and showed an interest in what the IB gods thought of my scribbles.  They were fine, I was getting the diploma.  End of story, good bye IB, good riddance.

This morning, my mother showed me how my school gives credit for IB tests scores and I put it all together.  I'm not sure if I can enter as a sophomore, but a lot of credits are now out of the way.  "Holy shit," I said and started giggling hysterically.  And here I am, twenty minutes later, still giggling.  

In other news, I still don't have the Seduction of Joe Tynan as a DVD.  Maybe by Tuesday.  Everyone is telling me going in chronological order is fucking stupid but I'm fucking stubborn.  I said this is how I'm doing it, so that's how it's going to work.

No comments: