Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tipping the Velvet

With the exception of Prop 8 and its friends, I'm pretty thrilled about the results of the election.  Washington state even managed to keep its democratic governor, cool beans all around.

Yesterday I watched Tipping the Velvet with a friend.  Meryl Streep is not in this film, but it would be awesome if she was.  There's this extremely kinky (well, extremely kinky for London circa The French Lieutenant's Woman) woman who sort of takes in the main character and even though Anna Chancellor is very attractive, Meryl Streep would have been amazing in that role.  Anyway, movie was fun, I highly enjoyed it.  The smut scenes were excellent.  I tried to explain the plot to my friends afterwards and they really could not handle the main character's name being Nan, so she became known as Main Character for the rest of the evening.

Anna Chancellor was Mr. Bingley's sister in Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth who won the most adorable award for Mamma Mia!  That's using a mini series, which isn't technically a movie, but Tipping the Velvet is a mini series as well, so I don't feel bad.

So the plan of watching Out of Africa this weekend is totally not going to work out.  It's parents weekend and there's a million other things to do, like going to see the student production of Macbeth and an orchestra concert.  But I'm still watching plenty of movies.  I want to write my term paper for history on European identity in film, so viewing some potential candidates.  I'm going to try to get through all four this weekend, but I doubt that'll happen.

No comments: