Saturday, December 19, 2009

Serial Mom

I just finished, like twenty minutes ago or something, the John Waters film "Serial Mom."

My original response was, what the fuck, but it's growing on me and I think I have a few things worked out.

First. Kathleen Turner is a goddess. I don't care what else she's done before or since, in this film she is impeccable.

Next. Holy shit, how does John Waters write this stuff and get away with it?

So it's about this family. There's Kathleen Turner, Jack McCoy from Law and Order, Shaggy from the Scooby Doo Movie (or that one guy from Without a Paddle, if you saw that), and the original Tracy Turnblad from Hairspray. Now imagine all of them having breakfast. Pretty trippy. Then you realize, all the boys walked out of a Backstreet Boys music video and Kathleen Turner is fucking insane. She kills people. All the time. But it's insane in a beautiful, mesmerizing, frightening way. It's like watching a burning building - beautiful and terrible. Along with some alarmingly frank views on the idea of fame in this country.

And you giggle through the whole thing. Quite a masterpiece. Maybe when I'm done with all the Meryl Streep movies, I'll watch all the John Waters movies.

No comments: